Friday, July 22, 2011

Eric Reminds Me of My Values

I’ve always been a fan of True Blood ever since the first season started. It’s probably the only vampire story I appreciate, because well, True Blood, for me, is the original vampire story. Everything else would just be romanticized versions of the original. Without all the sex and exposure of the boobies, I think the story is quite interesting. I like the constant struggle between Sookie and her desires for these two vampires. If you’re a fan like me, we both know na malibog talaga si Sookie and Bill and Eric are just attracted to this overflowing horny-ness of Sookie.

I just finished watching the second episode of the fourth season, and I have mixed feelings to what happened to Eric. Just so you know, Eric is my dream boy, my idea of an alpha-male. Because of some crazy witch who can bring back the dead, the young Eric or the Eric before he was bitten by his maker, was brought back to life! It’s quite amazing, mind-boggling even. But at the same time, I was thinking, how many people would want to go back or bring back to life the person who they used to be?

This is me trying to sound philosophical okay, not me trying to be emo (because we all know this has to be the easiest thing to do!). I mean, I’m sure there are some things I wish I hadn’t done or people I shouldn’t have or should have met, but I don’t want to go back and be the naïve person/vampire that Eric reverted into. I’m glad, no, relieved, that I’m not naïve, that I can somehow know what’s harming my principles and my values.

I realized this only recently during my Bioethics class which teaches us that we have to think black and white when it comes to decision-making. What the heck right?! Everyone knows, well at least the people I know, that decisions would always have their grey (gray?) areas, that sometimes it’s not as simple as quality over quantity. I know it’s part of being a good doctor to be able to make the right call, but I personally don’t think decision-making is a quantitative, more so a yes or no situation.

Okay, I think I just lost myself there. From True Blood to discussions on morality, ano nangyari?

No comments:

Post a Comment