Friday, July 1, 2011

Monte Carlo

Because I wanted to celebrate the end of a hideously toxic week in med school, I decided to go watch Monte Carlo. Funny thing is, when I searched in ClicktheCity for cinemas in Metro Manila, it was only SM Manila and SM San Lazaro that showed this movie. So does that mean there are only 2 cinemas in Metro Manila? :O I’ll have to check this again.


I’m not really sure if I’m a fan of these sisterly-friendship-backed-up-by-so-many-love-stories kind of movies. I never got to watch the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, so I can’t really compare Monte Carlo with that one. I liked Mamma Mia! because well, I can sing to the Abba songs, with correct lyrics and with feelings. But I think Monte Carlo was actually worth watching for 150 pesos with a very small crowd, while everyone else is lining up to watch Transformers 3.

It’s that kind of movie that makes you feel that you want to be different and that it's okay to be different. You want to be this girl who stands out from the rest of the girls just because she thinks better differently, the girl who’s different from all the other girls and eventually ends up with the most gwapo guy in the movie. A lot of chick flicks are like that actually. Mean Girls, Easy A, Legally Blonde, Cruel Intentions, and all the other chick flicks that we all just can’t seem to stop watching. But I don’t know, regardless of my foreknowledge that it’ll always be a happy ending for these films, it still feels good to know what happened in the end. And Pierre Boulanger was really just a cutie patootie with his curly hair and French accent. :”>


And can I just say that these chick flicks, they make girls think that they are bound to meet the perfect guy in the most perfect circumstances. Leighton Meester’s love story with the Australian guy quite frankly doesn’t seem so realistic to me. I mean, can you actually end up with someone you just met on the steps of a church? I’d love to have that kind of story, but seriously, I don’t think Filipinos are as brave as these characters from the movies.

But what I really liked the most about the movie was the setting. I’ve never been to Paris or anywhere in Europe, but this movie makes me want to save money and go there someday before I reach my 30s. I hear stories of friends going to Europe and really having the time of their lives. And since I’m slowly starting to enjoy going to museums and all that art shiz, Europe will probably the final destination of my attempt to be cultured. Haha.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Stumbled upon your blog while bloggwalking! :)

    I have yet to see Monte Carlo, but I've heard good reviews from my 11-year old niece. I sorta think she's being biased though; she's a Selena Gomez fan kasi! haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by! :) I hope you got to watch Monte Carlo and enjoyed it as much as your niece and I did. :D

    ReplyDelete