Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Rose Green Tea

Have you noticed how there’s this sudden baby boom of milk tea shops around Metro Manila? Two years ago, frozen yogurt shops mushroomed like crazy and earlier last year, milk tea has become everyone’s favorite drink. When Serenitea opened, everyone wanted to try their utterly expensive milk tea. When people realized that Serenitea was too pricey and tastes too much like tea, other tea shops like Cha Time and Happy Lemon opened. But even before Serenitea and other cool-sounding tea shops opened, Ersao and Bubbatealicious were already there, only they were simply overlooked by people.

So I’m already saying too much about milk tea and all too many pleasantries after one paragraph. What I’m trying to say is that, I, too, am a fan of tea and milk, separately and combined. I grew up and have gotten used to drinking tea in the morning, after meals and sometimes, during the night. And in spite of my liking for tea, I honestly can’t tell the difference between green and black, or Oolong and Assam. (Am I the only one who doesn’t know the difference? :s) There are just too many teas that I haven’t tried yet, and I really really want to be this tea master who can readily tell, even just by the scent, that “Aaah, this is Osmanthus!”

And so begins the start of my study on tea. Basically, I’m just going to try the different kinds of tea that the nearby tea shops offer and write my honest and probably insufficient and amateur review on the tea of the day. I’m not trying to be the tea critic here, just someone who likes to know what’s in the tea that she’s buying.

Today’s tea is Rose Green Tea from Simple Line. I’ve always wanted to know how rose tastes like, as ice cream or as tea. I thought it’ll have the same bitter flower-y taste like Chrysanthemum tea, but yay it didn’t! Because I had it with Green tea instead of Black tea, there wasn’t much of the bitter taste that I’d normally recognize.



Tea tip #1: According to my research, black tea tastes more bitter than your green tea and has a higher caffeine content than green tea. One major difference between the two is that black tea is fermented or processed while green tea is simply picked, steamed then fried. So if you're planning to stay up longer, get black. (I'll probably be doing this tonight, too.)

It wasn’t too sweet also, which is a good thing for me. The rose actually reminded me of strawberry juice that’s near the bland tasting side. I liked how there were rose petals at the bottom which I nonchalantly drank as well. I realized only after finishing my drink whether or not it was okay for me swallow the rose petals since I don’t usually swallow my tea leaves. Hahaha. But to be fair, the rose petals felt smoother in the tongue, almost jelly-like, compared to tea leaves.



My question now is, can I use the rose petals being sold in the flower shops as a flavoring for my tea? Or do the rose petals that tea shops use go through a tea-fying process before they're added to the tea? I'll get back to you on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment