Saturday, September 3, 2011

Zombadings 1: Patayin Sa Shokot Si Remington

 I haven’t been very honest. Probably one of the reasons why I’m not doing so well in school was because I’ve been distracting myself by watching movies. But c’mon, we all deserve a good laugh or a good cry sometimes right? A few days ago, I was planning in my head an entry about One Day by David Nichols and its movie adaptation, but I kind got lost with my thoughts and so decided to do that maybe next week instead.

Tonight, a friend and I watched Jade Castro’s Zombadings 1: Patayin sa Shokot si Remington.


I think I’ve seen the trailer of the film when I watched another indie film entitled Isda a month ago. I remember not liking the trailer because, honestly, zombies don’t really fascinate me that much. I just don’t get the fad. And when I heard from another friend how Zombadings was not funny, all the more did I hesitate. (But looking back to that conversation now, I wonder how the heck did my other friend not laugh, or even giggle, when he watched this.)

I’m not going to tell you the story the way most people do when they watch a film. I’m lazy and my mind at 12AM (surprisingly) is slow to function. I'll just most likely spoil everything in the process of writing anyway.

Quick question: when do we call a film a film and a movie a movie? I’d like to call Zombadings 1 a film instead of a movie because I don’t think it’s supposed to be as commercialized or as mainstream as the usual Star Cinema films we usually watch.

I personally admire Martin Escudero’s acting. I don't really know him or have heard of him before this film but he’s ultra funny with the way he talks in gay lingo and how he has this confused face whenever he’s trying to fight his inner gayness in the film. And can I just say that that rainbow and star filled solo dance scene in the middle of the streets was the funniest. The scenes preceding that one were okay, the earlier ones dragging, but I’m guessing a lot of the people watching got shaken up or at least became more attentive when Remington started swaying his hips and dancing to a tune in his head.



Kerbie Zamora wasn’t so bad as an actor as well, although I have to admit, I seriously felt uncomfortable during the stairs scene when Zamora started kissing Escudero’s deltoid all the way up to his lips and down to his ya-know. I cringe. But at the same time, laugh because again, Escudero’s facial expressions were the funniest and the most natural! I’m not the best person to criticize anyone for his acting, but I’m sure it took a lot of serious effort for these two boys to play their roles. Ang galling. And, that hair! That skin color! I tried searching for Kerbie Zamora and found out only a few minutes ago that he was apparently part of this model search. I love his curly and slightly unkempt hair plus his reddish and orange-y skin color. Macho gwapito yes.

But about the film…

It was actually pretty good. Maybe it made me appreciate the idea of zombies and its area of sci-fi (if I am right that zombies are under sci-fi). But in terms of being funny, grabe lang. I haven’t laughed that hard since Kimmy Dora or Date Night (whichever came out last). I’m not one to compare, but I didn’t find Babae Sa Septic Tank as funny as most people said it was. But Zombadings… Martin Escudero, you’re all cute and funny! Sana bading ka na lang. Haha! But I would understand that some people may not find this film funny since it has its own kind of humor. You know, how there are some Western films that do slapstick comedy while some do green jokes comedy; Zombadings is more of Pinoy comedy. I can’t really explain it, but there are really just some things that Filipinos find super funny that other nationalities would just go ‘ano daw?’.

One thing I didn’t like so much though was how the film still infused a little mainstream vibe through Remington’s dad played by John Regala. From being the strong and tough dad transforming into a full-on gay dude, John Regala still did amazingly well. I just thought they’d do something more ‘indie’ (whatever that may be) than just making the scene between the father and the son so dramatic, with matching background music if I remember correctly. Only in that part did I feel that it was like Maalala Mo Kaya or Mula Sa Puso. But again, maybe it’s just me.

Last of the many things I liked about the film was what Lauren Young said about gay men and women. She said the gay individuals she knew were strong and would fight, even struggle, for something they believe and to be someone they have chosen to be. 

We really should have more of these films, indie films I mean. As much as I love watching Sam Milby and Toni Gonzaga tandems, it's equally refreshing to watch something different and to have other equally interesting stories to be told. We're all suckers for love stories, but sometimes, movies and films are really more than that.

If you haven't seen the film, here's the trailer which can probably convince you to go watch the film.

1 comment:

  1. i've been wanting to watch this! from your review, im sure i'll enjoy this. yayain ko kayo sana, pero since youve watched it, iba movie nalang! see you soon! <3

    ReplyDelete