Monday, May 6, 2013

Do or Dye, Tie-Dye

Tonight was activity night! My siblings and I had enough energy left for the day to have our very own tie-dye night. There’s something about tie-dye that usually reminds me of summer. But then again it also reminds me of dusters my mom (and fine, me too) usually wears at night. But it’s colorful and fun and bright and happy and high, so who can say no to do that, right? And yes, I was diligent enough to take pictures of the step by step-ish process of a DIY-ed tie-dyed shirt/sando.

First, make sure you have the following:
Old plastic basins/tabo/microwaveable containers that are too opaque to be even used for food. Use those, since the dye might stain on your container.


 DYE, but get these ones. In Batangas, we call them jubos, I don’t know if they’re called the same if you buy them at National Bookstore. Haha. But I think, the local bookstores don’t sell this brand, but something like Sunshine or Venus? Don’t get those, they don’t stain as well as these babies do. If you want to get the real thing, come by our store in Batangas and ask for jubos. It’s priced at four pesos per envelope and one envelope’s already enough to fill a whole tub of ice cream. Cheap di ba?



You’ll also need rock salt. My brother said they help hasten the dye-ing part, I don’t know how salt does that, so just do it anyway. A pinch of salt per tub of color should do it.

Warm water to dissolve the dye, since dye comes in powder in case you’re too sosyal to know that. It’s like water color, but not paste-like in consistency.

Rubber bands to keep your shirt in place while you pour the dye on the shirt. And your white shirt. I got my dad’s old sando he usually wears to sleep for my trial run. I think white works best for tie-dye, since as you’ll see later, using darker colored shirts doesn’t really bring out the true joy tie-dye secretly brings.

Okay, let’s go.

So in a tub of warm to lukewarm water, dissolve a sachet of your preferred dye. Add just a pinch of salt and continue to stir until everything has dissolved. Leave your dyes to cool for a while. You can use as many colors as you want. I don’t believe in limiting yourself to just 2 or 3. And another plus point to my jubos is how cool the colors start to mix together, like you’re creating a whole new color from the color wheel. Amuuhzing!

Lay down your shirt flat on the ground and start a circling motion from the center of your shirt, as if you’re making a whirlpool out of it. Do this until the whole shirt is twirled into a circle. Fasten the shirt with two rubber bands. Make sure it’s still flat. The rubber bands would keep your shirt from getting untangled.





And do the crazy! Go as wild as you want, mixing any colors wherever you want. Or be organized and pour the dye inward to outward. It’s up to you! Just make sure you pour the dye on BOTH sides of the shirt, ventral and dorsal okay. Otherwise, your tie-dye shirt would be no tie-dye. Also, be extra extra generous in pouring the liquid on the shirt. Don’t leave out any white spots like I did, otherwise you’ll end up with a undernourished tie-dye like mine.







When you’re done, just remove the rubber bands and voila! Easy, right?

You can only guess which one's mine huhu tie-dye fail 

2 comments:

  1. Ang nice!! (esp yung blue one and the white one!) Hindi ba messy? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. No naman. Just make sure you do it somewhere grassy haha para hindi ma-stain yung floors! :)

    ReplyDelete